The 2017 Summer Reading Program encourages participants to imagine, design, and Build a Better World. Children ages 14 and younger may register in the Children’s Room of the Uniontown Public Library beginning June 12, 2017. Children who are too young to read can still participate and may have books read to them.
Each participant will receive a reading log to record the books they read during the summer, as well as a bookmark with a free children’s menu item compliments of IHOP. When they reach their reading goals, they will receive prizes.
One day each week, all readers are invited to attend a special event at the library for summer reading program members. Participants are also invited to enter the art and math contests.
Summer is the time to have fun! Read any age-appropriate book that you like. If you need some help choosing a book to get started, talk to the librarian.
Support for the Summer Reading Program is provided by the Friends of the Uniontown Public Library.
Reading Incentive Program
- READ 1 BOOK: Win a construction hat sponsored by Linda Jennings and Lorraine Jones, as well as a free taco from Taco Bell.
- READ 5 BOOKS: Choose an adorable zoo or farm animal plush sponsored by Duck Hollow Discovery Learning Center and a free Happy Meal from the McDonald’s at Uniontown Shopping Center.
- READ 10 BOOKS: Win a dolphin pool toy AND $10 in library money to spend at our Book Fair. Sponsored by Duck Hollow Discovery Learning Center and the Friends of the Uniontown Public Library. Also, get a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut.
- READ MORE THAN 10 BOOKS: Receive a coupon for a free dinner at Applebee’s Restaurant.
Reading Program Contests
- MATH CONTEST: Guess how many pom-poms are in a jar and win a Party Bingo game. Sponsored by Sheetz Stores.
- ART CONTEST: Draw your own dream house and compete for prizes! Participants will be divided into five age groups. Pick up your entry form and rules at the library. You can see the prizes in the display case outside the Children’s Library. Sponsored by Sheetz Stores and Debbie Teets.
- MAKE-AND-TAKE CRAFT TABLE: Make a new craft each week. Sponsored by Linda Jones and Gerry Dorobish.
- TREASURE HUNT: Everyone’s favorite summer program activity. Find one of the golden coins hidden in the Children’s Library and bring it to the desk for a prize! Sponsored by Paula Wardzella.
- PUZZLER: Solve the weekly puzzle and win a prize. Sponsored by Uniontown Hospital.
Weekly Thursday Events at 1:00 PM
- June 22nd: Join us for a dance party featuring musicians Josh & Gab. Bring your camera to get a picture with the Cat in the Hat!
- June 29th: Use teamwork and real tools to create amazing structures at our Cardboard Construction Site.
- July 6th: Learn screen printing with the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and create an artistic masterpiece.
- July 13th: Be amazed by Doc Dixon the Magician and Butch the Bunny!
- July 20th: It’s up to a princess to save a prince in the story of The Paper Bag Princess, presented by Stage Right of Greensburg.
- July 27th: Want a close-up view of exotic creatures? Join us for a visit from the Zoomobile of the Pittsburgh Zoo.
- August 3rd: Build it bigger and better at our second Cardboard Construction Site!
- August 10th: Wear your craziest hat and snack on (iced) tea and cookies at the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party.